Okro or okra, known in many English country as “ladies finger” is a flower plant in the mallow family, its valued for its edible green seed pods.The geographical origin of okra is disputed, with supporters west African The plant is cultivated in tropical, subtropical and warm temperate regions around the world.
Okro or okra is low in calories, contains no saturated fats or cholesterol and there is ongoing research into its potential to manage diabetes, It is often use for making soups, stews and sauces, but can also be eating raw as a snack.
Okro helps in weight management, its recommended for people on weight loss or fitness journey,
This is because 100g of raw okra pods contains 30 calories and also has lots of dietary fibers that gives you a feeling of fullness.
Okro or okra seed contains many nutrient which includes.
Health benefits of okro.
Okro has many health benefits according to research which includes.
- Okro or okra helps in digestions Okra is rich in dietary fibre. If you plan to control your diet, eating okra will make you feel full for a long time. This will prevent the crave for other food in between meals. The fibre is very helpful in digestion and helps to prevent constipation and generally makes you healthy
- Controls obesity;Okra is also low in calories. This means that you can satisfy your hunger and still keep your weight.
- It fights cancer. Okra is packed with antioxidants and so can provide support to cells to fight off free-radicals that can lead to cancer
okra is rich in Vitamin C and other anti-oxidants. These help to strengthen our body immunity by acting against the harmful free radicals in our body. Vitamin C also stimulates the production of more white blood cells which are our body’s primary defense mechanisms against foreign pathogens and other materials.
Other health benefits of Okro or Okra
- its helps to treat sickle cell disease and protects against retinal damage
- stimulates hair growth and helps in healing
- beneficial in managing debates and maintaining a healthy heart
- Effective in treating abnormal disorder such as consumption
- It prevents formation of stones in kidney and bladder .
Aside from its health benefits, okro or okra can also serve as food and other uses
- Okra is used for thickening
- you can cook it as soup
- Ladies’ fingers can be used in salads, soups, and stews, fresh or dried, fried, sautéed, roasted, or boiled. They can also be pickled.